How do I get an invitation to Top Flight Summer Academy?
If you are currently, or have in the past, been a participant in our Top Flight Academy or Top Flight Summer program, you are welcome to register for Top Flight Summer Academy. For players that are new to the Top Flight program, admittance is based on several factors, including UTR, age, skill, dedication and experience.
- To find out if you are qualified to participate in this program, contact the Club via phone: 248-253-9300, or you may request an evaluation via email here: Evaluation Request
- Include the players name, age and day/time you would like to come for the evaluation.
- Evaluations are done Monday-Thursday during our morning (10am-12 pm.) Players seeking an evaluation will pay the drop-in rate of $80 – please bring cash or check, or alternatively you can call 248-253-9300 and pay by credit card over the phone, prior to the evaluation. Once admitted to the program, your $80 drop-in payment can be applied to a package rate, should you choose to buy one.
- If you are seeking an evaluation prior to June 1, your evaluation will be Monday-Thursday, 4:30-6:30 pm, either indoors at Wessen Indoor Tennis Club, or at our outdoor location, if applicable.
Is there a minimum age or age limit to participate?
No. Our Academy is separated into levels. Age does not play a significant role in determining eligibility to join the group. Skill level is the most important factor, followed by age/size. We don’t want anyone to get hurt on the court!
When does the Top Flight Summer Camp meet?
- Top Flight Summer Camp meets twice-per-day, Monday through Thursday mornings 10am-12pm. Monday & Wednesday afternoons 1:00-3:00 pm and Verified UTR Match Play Tuesday & Thursday afternoons at 12:30 pm. We do not have class on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
- Students can choose morning, afternoon or full day. It’s a choose-your-own-schedule camp, so you do not have to choose the time/date ahead of time.
Where is the location of the Top Flight Summer Camp?
OUTDOORS at Bloomfield Hills High School tennis courts.
Wessen Indoor Tennis Club* (Indoor & Outdoor Courts) *when necessary
What happens if it rains?
If it is raining; the courts are wet; or when needed, the Camp will be moved indoors to Wessen Indoor Tennis Club.
How will I know that the Camp is indoors at Wessen?
- As soon as a decision is made to move indoors, we will send out a Tweet. You can follow us on Twitter at com/WessenITC
I do not subscribe to Twitter. What now?
- On the home page of our website, we have a Twitter feed where you can see the updates. To find out if there is a delay, or if the group is moving indoors, just look at our website’s homepage wessenitc.com. You will find the Twitter Feed on the right-hand side of our website homepage.
What if it starts raining during the group?
- If we are at Bloomfield Hills High School and it starts to rain, we will either end the class early, or we will move indoors to Wessen. This will be based on the amount of time left in the class. Once the determination is made, we will use Twitter to communicate. For those students that were dropped off and need a ride to Wessen, they will carpool with our Tennis Pros to the Club.
- Please do not call about rain-outs – the moment a decision is made to delay or cancel, we will post it on Twitter and on our website homepage.
- We have hundreds of players in our outdoor top flight and recreational programs, and we cannot answer hundreds of calls about rainouts. If we have not made an announcement, you can assume the class is still on as scheduled. We would rather not cancel if possible and will try as best we can to keep classes on their scheduled day, time, and location if at all possible.
How does the Tuesday/Thursday Verified UTR Match Play work?
- Players register for VERIFIED UTR match play online through the UTR website. Match Play is offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12:30 PM. If we have a large turnout, matches could start as early as 12:15 PM. Summer Camp participants can compete in twice-per-week match play (1/2 visit per event.) Online registration will be free; however, it is necessary to let us know through our sign-up roster. We will send Top Flight players a special link to register and pay with your visits. Each match play event will count as 1/2 visit from your package. Late Camp registrants that did not receive a link may still sign up for match play, but there will be an additional $10 registration fee when registering through the UTR website. All match play results will count toward the players’ VERIFIED UTR rating. This is a great opportunity to improve match play results AND a player’s rating over the course of the summer!
What happens if I buy a package of visits, and I find I want to come to additional classes?
- Packages can always be upgraded. For instance, if you buy a package of 10 visits, you can upgrade to 24, 48 or 90 visits at any time. You will only be charged the difference in the package price. Keep in mind that the 10% discount ends on the date specified and will not carry forward into the summer if you decide to upgrade once the early bird discount has expired.
What if I only want to come to a couple of extra classes beyond my package limit?
- If you buy a package and want to come to a few extra classes, you will be charged a per-visit fee at the rate of your depleted package. This does not apply to the Tues/Thurs UTR match play, which you can register for a fee ($28/$38) as a non-Academy player.
What if I don’t use all my visits by the end of the summer?
- Summer Top Flight Camp session packages do not extend into the fall or winter sessions. Keep in mind, that even if you don’t use all your visits, you are saving on the daily per-time rate. For instance, if you purchase a 48 visit package and only come 40 times, you are still saving. You would otherwise have to purchase a 24 visit package and pay per-time for the additional 24 visits.
What is a “visit?”
- A “visit” refers to a two-hour block of the group. We have a morning session (10a-12 pm) and an afternoon session (1-3 pm.) The morning session is one visit, and the Monday/Wednesday afternoon sessions are one visit. Tuesday/Thursday match play is equal to 1/2 visit each event.
Can I share a package with my sister/brother?
- Players are not able to “share” packages, however we do offer a 10% sibling discount for families with more than one Top Flight Summer Camp participant. When registering online, please choose the “Sibling Discount” option for each player in your family.
How do I pay for a drop-in “per-time” visit?
- Drop-in, per-time visits for players that have not purchased a package are $80. For those with a package that has been depleted, extra “drop-in” visits will be charged at the rate per-time that your package provided. You can also upgrade your package at any time by calling the Club. 248-253-9300. Payment must be made either before, or at the time of the visit.
Do you offer racquet stringing services during the summer months?